Taaleem Poetry Award
The Taaleem Poetry Award 2013-2014 is now closed and the winning poems have been published. The winners’ names are listed below.
The winners – English language:
|11 & Under Venika Vachani Órla-Méabh Youell Ferre Van Roy||12 to 14 Age Group Ahlam Irshad Shaikh Archie Walker Muntaha Sabri|
|15 to 17 Jumana Al-Basuni Shaday Chantall Collie Karishma P. Gandhi Sruthi Veeraraghavan||18+ Age Group Shravan Chopra Tom Taylor Madhuri Kumar Rishav Dash|
The winners – Arabic language:
|11 & Under Haya Sami Fahad Al Hammadi Fahad Sami Fahad Al Hammadi||12 to 14 Age Group Fatma Sami Fahad Al Hammadi Mohamad Saed Alfalasi Jasim Akran|
|15 to 17 Eman Jehad Abuzaid Sara Tamimi Mariam Eman Jehad Abuzaid||18+ Age Group Salma Elgaili Abdelkarim Ahmed Mohammed Kazem Aboudan|
What is the competition?
The theme of the 2014 Taaleem Poetry Award is Metamorphosis, which is the overall theme of the 2014 Festival. The competition is held in Arabic and English. Entrants may choose their own title in keeping with the theme Metamorphosis You can find some tips on writing a good poem here.
What is the prize?
Winners will be honoured at the 2014 Festival and all the winning entries will appear in a published book. As well as a trophy, each winner will receive five copies of the book and an opportunity to participate in a creative writing workshop.
Who can enter?
There are four age categories which relate to your age on 23 November 2013.
Ages 11 and under – up to a maximum of 32 lines
Ages 12 – 14– up to a maximum of 32 lines
Ages 15 – 18 – up to a maximum of 32 lines
Age 18+ for undergraduates in full-time education – up to a maximum of 32 lines
Please read carefully:
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to observe the terms and conditions of the Competition, including permission to publish winning entries and to use photographic images of entrants where appropriate.
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions.
- In accordance with normal conventions for international writing competitions, entries which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will not be considered.
How to submit:
- Write your poem – use your imagination and creativity to the full, but do remember that the theme is Metamorphosis
- Check that you have followed all the rules
- Complete all sections of the online entry form
- Submit directly from this page!
- Winners will be notified in early March before The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature (4-8 March 2014).
The Award Ceremony will take place during the Festival – either 7 or 8 March, 2014.